Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What's for dinner tonight?

I have to admit that yesterday I wasn't a good, frugal girl. 

*gasp!*

Yes, sometimes it happens.  4PM rolls around and I realize that I haven't taken anything out of the freezer for dinner.  I HATE using the microwave to defrost meat because it tends to get cooked even in defrost mode. 

So, I ran to Kroger with the intent to buy only some meat and good deals if they had them.  I did pretty well.  I stuck to buying meat and WIC items mostly.  We were almost out of milk and the cereal wasn't going to spoil any time soon.  I held off on the WIC bread and juice for the day.  I picked up some mozzarella cheese.  Oh, can't forget the broccoli and bananas for PreK Newbie.

I still spent about $12, but most of that was on meat.  They had some killer deals on beef and pork chops.  I'm considering going back since it's right across the street from my closest Walgreens that I haven't checked on the Good Nites deal yet.  In fact, I'll do that.

I digress.  LOL.  I didn't do anything special with the meat, just fried in a pan with some salt and McCormic onion/garlic seasoning.  Boiled the broccoli and added some cheese.  Found some generic minute rice on the clearance aisle for $0.69 because when they opened the big box to stock it, this box was cut open.  Nice, inexpensive dinner.

Tonight?  It's time for something completely different (dang Monty Python references swimming in my head).  I decided to plug in all the ingredients I have into Super Cook.  Apparently with what I already have on hand I can make over 2,000 recipes!  Wow!  I'm definitely going to use this again.  Best of all?  It's totally FREE!  Going to try a little of this with a little of that on the side.  It's all gonna be served over rice.  I'm drooling just thinking about it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like you came up with a creative, healthy supper. :) A trip to the store = a trip to town for me, and at that hour I may have caved to the frozen pizza or something!

    This could be *bad advice* but when I need frozen meet to thaw fast, I submerge the package in a bowl of HOT water, refreshing the water as it cools. Meat thaws in no time, without getting "cooked" in the microwave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    Thanks for stopping by! I'll have to try that one day. I used to work in a grocery fish department and we thawed fish by running cold water over it till it was thawed. That's a HUGE waste of water resources. I could handle a static bowl of water being refreshed periodically.

    Thanks for the tip!

    :)

    ReplyDelete