Friday, November 12, 2010

Second try at Kroger


After getting the call from the manager earlier this week, I decided to try Kroger again.  By this time I had added a bunch to my list that was on the Mega Event and even more printable coupons.  I love it when the Ronzoni pastas are on the Mega Event.  I end up getting a bunch of whole wheat pastas for $0.25 or less, maybe even free, which makes it a perfect donation item.  I know I've had to use food banks a few times in my life and all too often there was a lot of overly processed foods that really didn't have much nutritional value.  I'm going to be donating a bunch of it to a local food pantry.  Hopefully someone will appreciate having something a little more wholesome and filling on their table.  I know I'll feel better donating something with actual nutrition in it.

So, I did have some problems with the coupons.  The manager that called me wasn't on duty.  There was another manager that did complain about how long it took the cashier to enter my coupons.  See, some of them wouldn't scan but this one gave the OK for her to enter the number manually and if it worked that way the discount was given.  All of them worked when entered manually.  When the manager complained, I thought to myself "Do you really want to complain about a sale that was $157.28 before any coupons and discounts?"  Kroger seems to be forgetting the bottom line when it comes to their bottom line - treat customers crappy and they won't come back therefore reducing your bottom line.

I noticed when I got home that I was 4 items short for getting another $5.00 Mega Event discount.  I've called the store and they told me that as long as I bring my receipt I and buy 4 more products I can get the discount.  I'm planning on getting 4 more sodas as I'm expecting to only pay something like $0.20 out of pocket for them.  As it was, I paid $35.45 out of pocket and if you consider the fact that the store's going to make an extra $3.04 in handling for me just using coupons, they really shouldn't be complaining about it taking the cashier 3 minutes longer to enter the coupons.

Manufacturer Coupon Savings $49.94
Bonus Coupon Savings $1.40
Kroger Plus Savings $55.83
Total Coupons/Savings (67%) $107.17

(ETA I finally went back to get the additional Mega Event items:

I was given something like $1.50 back for getting 4 more sodas!)

Here's the items I got:

Mega Event (buy 10 items, mix and match, get $5 off your order)
  • A&W Rootbeer 2-liter $0.79
  • Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper 2-liter $0.79
  • 6 Ricola Cough Drops bags $0.50, buy 2 get $1 off Ricola, FREE
  • 24 assorted bags & boxes of Ronzoni pasta $0.79 each, used a bunch of $1.00 off when you buy 2 printables and one $1.00 off Ronzoni E-Coupon making them $0.29 each. or $5.96 (they were out of the Garden Delight which would've been a $0.21 money maker each - 8 coupons - because they use the cost before the Mega Event for the coupons)
  • 4 Campbells cream of Mushroom soup - $0.50 each, used a save $1.00 when you buy 4 coupon and an eCoupon for $1.50 when you buy 3 came off making them a $0.50 money makter
  • 6 Hormel Chili $0.75 each, used $0.75 off printables and $0.55 off two Kroger E-Coupon and $0.75 off E-coupon = $1.30 money maker
  • 2 Pringles Multigrain $1.00 each, used $1.00 off two Kroger E-Coupon and $1.00 off 2 paper coupon, FREE
  • 2 Smart Balance Spread $1.29 each, used $0.50 off coupons that doubled, $0.58 for both
  • Prilosec $8.99, used $4.00 off E-Coupon, $3.00 off paper coupon, paid $1.49
  • 2 International Delight Creamers $1.99, used $0.55 off coupons, paid $1.44 each
Non Mega-Event
  • 5-Armour lunch makers $1.00 each
  • Kroger Vegetable Medley $1.29 on clearance
  • Large Eggs $0.99
  • Tide Free & Clear Stain Release $6.99, used $3.00 off E-Coupon and $3.00 off paper coupon, $0.99.  For some reason the coupon stated that it exceeded the value of the item.  Don't know why, (possibly because I used an E-Coupon?) but the cashier went ahead and rang it in for the full $3.00 off.
  • Pringles XTreme $1.50, used FREE item coupon
  • Kroger wipes $2.19
  • 2 - Gerber Strawberry Yogurt Drink $2.09, used $3.00 off coupon from the demo lady, adjusted down, so FREE
  • Kroger bath tissue $0.88
  • Pork Country Ribs $4.06
WIC
  • Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal
  • Dora Cereal
  • Bananas
  • Milk
  • Grape Juice
  • Sara Lee Bread (but I also had a $0.55 off coupon which went toward my final total, so it was a $0.55 money maker)

No comments:

Post a Comment